ZF 2 is currently under heavy development (beta4 should be coming out this week). There are many commits and merged pull requests every day. That's great! I like trying new stuff. I even based some schoolwork on ZF2 beta2.
But! There are many ZF 1 applications in the wild. And because there won't be an easy migration path to ZF 2 (except for the complete rewrite), I suppose that many people will have to support ZF 1 apps for at least a few more years. It would be nice to have some rock-solid ZF 1 version to which those apps could be upgraded (ZF 1.11.11 was released 8 months ago).
Zend Framework 1.12
(this text is influenced by the fact, that I have upgraded our app to ZF 1 trunk with a plan to swap it with the 1.12 final by the end of April)
ZF team announced another release in ZF 1 branch – 1.12. It should be the last minor version for ZF1. It was supposed to be released in April…and still isn't here by the end of May. It somehow feels as if the Zend said „ZF 2 is the topmost priority, ZF 1.12 isn't.“.
I wonder when the 1.12 is coming out. I even think it would be better to release it now, even if there are some unresolved issues – most of them were there for a long time. I would prefer to have 1.12 with many fixed issues soon (followed by 1.12.1 later), than perfect 1.12.0 for Christmas. I suggest moving back to faster relase cycle (maintenance release every month) – 1.11.12 was promised to bude released in October 2011.
But if I can choose, I'd like to have at least the following patched issues fixed in ZF 1.12.0 (most of them should be just „apply patch&commit“) :)
List of issues I somehow got involved in:
- ZF-10690 – Zend_Validate_EmailAddress setMessage does not work properly
- ZF-10803 – Form ID overrides Fieldset ID and causes dupe IDs
- ZF-12113 – Zend_Test error messages should be more verbose
- ZF-12207 – Remove Zend_Service_Simpy
- ZF-12213 – Zend_Validate – Writing Validators – outdated
- ZF-12214 – Zend_Cache_Backend_File – improve error messages for cache_dir
- ZF-12215 – Typos in Zend_Controller_Action_Helper_Redirector docblocks
Issues for ZF1 failing tests
- ZF-5024 – Symlink function fail causes Zend_OpenId_Consumer to fail
- ZF-12201 – Zend_Filter_HtmlEntitiesTest fails on Windows
- ZF-12202 – Some Zend_Http_UserAgent test fail on Windows
- ZF-12179 – Zend_Loader_ClassMapAutoloaderTest fails – cannot load from Phar
- ZF-12197 – Zend_Locale_FormatTest::testIsFloat fails in localized environment
- ZF-12199 – Zend_Locale_FormatTest::testIsDate fails on localized environment